Reducing your home’s energy consumption can make a huge difference onmonthly bills, and doing so may be easier than you think. Become more energy efficient and cut energy costs in your home with these simple tips:
- Turn on your ceiling fan. In the summer the fan should spin counter-clockwise to pull hot air up, while in the winter the fan should spin clockwise to pull warmer air down.
- Clean the filter in your HVAC system monthly to keep it running in top performance.
- Close unused air vents so you are not paying to cool or heatrooms you don’t use often.
- Use rugs on bare floors to hold heat in a room.
- Makesure the flue of your fireplace is closed so that warm air is not escaping.
- Lower the thermostat when you leave the house.
You can also cut energy costs by changing how you light your home:
- Replace your regular bulbs with compact florescent lightbulbs (CFLS) or LEDs; they are more energy-efficient but give off the same amount of light.
- Make sure you are using the correct light bulbs in your fixtures.
- Use a timer to turn lights on when you need them, and off when you don’t.
Paying attention to how you are using your appliances will also help save money and energy.
- If you are in the market for new appliances, choose an energy-efficient one, they’re both money savers and good for the environment.
- Wash full loads of laundry.
- When cooking, match the size of the pot to the right burner size on your stove. When smaller pots are used on larger burners heat is lost around the sides.
Cut Energy Costs with American Standard
Energy-efficiency can help you not only save money on your energy bills, but also help reduce your carbon footprint. With an efficient heating and cooling system from American Standard, you can be sure that everyone on your home will be comfortable. If you’re ready to save on costs, contact one of our American Standard Customer Care dealers today.