Since most packaged HVAC system are located outside the home, it can be easy to forget to perform regular maintenance. But since weather and other outdoor conditions can cause wear and tear on your HVAC system, regular maintenance is necessary to keep your unit running smoothly. Here are a few packaged system preventative maintenance tips that should be done regularly either by the homeowner or an American Standard Customer Care dealer.
Packaged system preventative maintenance checklist
Routine maintenance will help ensure your packaged system is running smoothly and efficiently. Use this bi-annual packaged system preventative maintenance checklist to ensure you’re in the clear:
- First, clear and remove any debris away from the system, including twigs, leaves and other yard wastes.
- Check all safety features to ensure you’re not in danger while performing maintenance.
- Test the compressor, motor and temperature differentials on the system. If you’re not sure how to do this, consult your local American Standard Heating & Air Conditioning Dealer.
- Clean condenser coil and check for any damage.
- Lubricate any moving parts to prolong use and wear. This can also be done as part of a regular check from your local dealer.
- Finally, change or clean filters as often as needed or recommended by your operator’s manual.
Professional packaged system preventative maintenance
While there are a lot of things you can do at home to make sure your packaged system is working up to the manufacturer’s standard, it’s always a good idea to have a professional perform annual maintenance. An American Standard Customer Care dealer can come to your home to assess your current HVAC situation and perform thorough HVAC packaged system preventative maintenance to make sure you won’t experience discomfort during the coldest or hottest days of the year.